Saturday, April 11, 2009

naps-my guilty pleasure

When I was younger, single and childless, I did not believe in naps. I thought naps were a waste of time. My husband (who was my boyfriend at the time) would often take naps in the middle of the day and be unreachable for hours. This made me very mad. I thought he was being selfish, irresponsible and just plain lazy.

When I was pregnant with my first daughter, like any new mom-to-be, I read as much literature on parenting as possible. I read several different books, on-line articles and magazines, and one piece of advice for all the new moms that was consistent in all of them was: nap when your newborn baby is napping. Being the naive young thing, and not yet a mom, I thought to myself, ha! I will use that time to do laundry, clean the house and cook. I will NOT be lazy and nap!

Fast foward a few years and 2 babies, and I now know, that as a mom to a newborn, naps are necessary for your sanity! (unless of course you can survive on 2 hours of sleep a night).

Since my babies no longer get up every 2 hours to nurse, I don't need to nap for my sanity any longer. But I still do strongly believe in naps... for THEM. When they nap, I can clean, cook, do wedding stuff, surf the net, blog (you get the idea).

But, surprisingly, I have come around to believing in naps (name me one person who doesn't.. oh yah.. that was me!) and sometimes (ok, more than sometimes) I will lay down in between my 2 sweet daughters and nap with them.

Who can resist a nap with 2 sweet-smelling, cuddly little girls, on a rainy Saturday afternoon.?

Not me... so I guess I will indulge myself today.

No comments:

Post a Comment